Moving house can be one of the most stressful experiences that we do in our lives, but it doesn’t need to be. The chaos and craziness that often comes with packing and unpacking every belonging you own can be minimised if you know the right tricks to make things easier. We’ve compiled the top 14 tips to help you make this exciting time actually exciting!
- In the months leading up to your move, get rid of things you don’t want anymore. This saves you from moving a ton of stuff you are going to throw away anyway. Some examples? Donate old toys, clean out your wardrobe, and sort through books and filing.
- Conduct a family meeting and make a good plan for your moving day. It’s a good idea to plan for pets and young children to be elsewhere if possible.
- To get your kids excited about moving, plan their new bedrooms and investigate activities in the new area.
- If your kids are present on moving day, give them age appropriate jobs to help you out.
- Boxes can be very expensive to buy, so instead see if you can get some from your local supermarket. Make sure to reinforce boxes with a lot of tape to save the headache of box bottoms falling out.
- When packing, stick a piece of tape on cupboards and drawers you have already emptied to save you from opening them 100 times!
- Label EVERYTHING! You can even colour code boxes with tape for different rooms of your new house. This makes it easy for removalists to put your boxes in the right spot.
- Put on packing music to keep you motivated!
- Take a photo of the back of electronics to help reconnect them in your new home.
- Keep pets’ and kids’ most prized toys accessible for easy access upon arrival in your new home.